Bangalore University was established in July 1964 as an off shoot of the University of Mysore, primarily to include institutions of higher learning located in the metropolitan city of Bangalore and the districts of Bangalore, Kolar and Tumkur, which eventually became a separate university
Since 1964, Bangalore University has grown both in size and strength to include a large number of affiliated colleges, P.G. Centers with a rich diversity of programme options. In consonance with this expansion, in 1973, the University moved into a new campus named ‘Jnana Bharathi’ (JB) located on a sprawling 1100 acres of land and shifted many of its post graduate departments to this newly established campus.
Bangalore University has completed Fifty-two years of fruitful existence and has come to be hailed as one of the largest universities of Asia. Though originally intended to be a federal university, it has eventually emerged as an affiliating University. The University was first accredited in 2002 by NAAC with Five Star Status, re-accredited in the years 2008 and Nov. 2016 in 2nd and 3rd Cycles with ‘A’ Grade.
According to QS University Ranking: BRICS-2016, an international agency ranked Bangalore University at 151st position amongst BRICS nations. As per Hansa Research Survey 2016 published in THE WEEK-May 29, 2016 issue, Bangalore University is ranked at No. 15 in the Top Multi-disciplinary Universities at All India level, at No.9 in the Top State Multi-disciplinary Universities, No.5 in the South Zone and No.1 in the State of Karnataka.
The University is providing quality teaching and encouragement to research in frontier areas with social relevance that would reflect its mission and goals aptly symbolized by its emblem ‘JNANAM VIGNANA SAHITHAM’.